CZ/SK verze

DB adding another upgrade for climate-friendly rail freight

DB adding another upgrade for climate-friendly rail freight
photo: DB/DB
09 / 03 / 2022

Batteries, hydrogen, LNG, or electricity from sustainable sources. Those are the main players in the future of transportation. But how about biofuels?

HVO (hydrotreated vegetable oil), made from biological residue and waste, will be helping DB to have a climate-neutral end-to-end supply chain for its customers. Already today freight trains save between 80 to 100 percent CO2 compared to road transportation. Europe’s largest rail freight company, DB Cargo, now generates around 95 percent of its power electrically. The remaining approx. 5 percent is the power needed during shunting, in terminals, and ports, or when delivering freight wagons to customer’s premises.

Dr Sigrid Nikutta, DB Board Member for Freight Transport: "We have managed to square the circle - we can easily run freight trains for our customers with alternative fuels and the existing locomotive fleet in a completely CO2-neutral manner. At the same time, we are investing in new technologies and will convert the diesel locomotives to hybrid technology. We can therefore offer our customers tailor-made, climate-friendly supply chains - and ultimately organize the added value 'Made in Germany' in a climate-neutral manner. Many customers have already signaled to us that this is exactly what they are waiting for: sustainability – this is the new currency in logistics, and we are literally creating it down to the last meter of the supply chain!”

Tags

Cookies nám pomáhají k Vaší spokojenosti

Tento web používá soubory cookies k poskytování služeb, personalizaci reklam a analýze návštěvnosti.
Používáním tohoto webu s tím souhlasíte.

Další informace